Sunday, November 28, 2010

A Successful Thanksgiving Weekend (more pictures)

Here's to our first Norwegian Thanksgiving - it was quite a success.  We made everything listed on the previous post except for the boller :-/ I didn't know that the yeast we needed was not provided in the package we purchase, so we'll be making those later.  I also added some sage & onion stuffing to the menu; nothing fancy, but I saw it at the store and thought you can never go wrong with stuffing on Thanksgiving.  Tyler did an impeccable job with the deer tenderloin!  It was cooked to perfection and topped with a balsamic reduction that Rett made at his place beforehand.  I made my own version of French's onion rings (oh yea, so hard...all I did was grill some thin slices - nowhere near the same, but at least it added some flavor).  I also think I made my best sweet potato casserole ever by adding a whole Tahitian vanilla bean to the mix.  Ty agrees ;-)

Two chefs in the kitchenOur kitchen table
The spreadyours truly
 Tyler and his masterpiece - definitely something to be proud of :-)

Later we met up at Icebar Oslo with Jean and Lucas and two of their friends, Katie and Scott, who were visiting for the weekend.  Very fun, though I had to wonder how silly we looked going into the Icebar when it was almost as cold standing outside...and it was snowing.  I was surprised how cheap it was to go in there (compared to just buying a drink at a normal bar here in Oslo).  It was 200kr, just over $30, to: go in for 45 minutes, get an ice glass, and two drinks.  Its about 100kr just to get a mixed drink at most places, so pretty cool to get the whole experience AND the two drinks for just 200kr.  The whole interior is ice - the walls, the bar, the tables, the seats, and the glasses!  There were lights behind the walls that slowly changed colors creating a really neat effect.  There are more pictures from the night on Jean and Lucas' camera - I'll post those when I get them.



  



So while we had no turkey or pumpkin pie, I'd still say our Thanksgiving celebration was a complete success :-)

1 comment:

  1. Excellent! I made a great spread for my family. I am so glad that you guys found some friends so fast!

    ReplyDelete